Undergraduate Industrial Placement 2021
Looking to kick-start your career in accountancy by gaining vital work experience for one-year as part of your university degree? Then look no further!
We value Partnership. SRLV is an independent firm of Chartered Accountants and business advisors based in fantastic offices in the heart of London’s West End.
Our client base has a real strength in the music, media and entertainments sector, whilst maintaining a broad range of clients including prestigious restaurant groups, luxury retailers, professional services firms, property, travel, and technology businesses.
We have 6 great opportunities spread across our practice and departments, which are great opportunities to gain real life exposure to how we work as an organisation and gain key skills to help you as an individual, your degree and your future.
As an Assistant on the SRLV Student Placement Programme you will be provided with the opportunity to broaden your accountancy knowledge and build upon theoretical experience as part of a friendly, supportive and technically strong team within a growing firm in London’s West End.
Undergraduate Industrial placements provide invaluable hands on experience unobtainable through study alone. We will give you responsibility from the beginning and support all the way.
If you demonstrate you have what it takes to be part of the SRLV team it can lead to securing a permanent role and training contract with us when you graduate from university.
Music & Entertainment Team – Key Responsibilities
- Day to day bookkeeping and accounting for a portfolio of clients;
- Client bank and credit card reconciliations;
- Raising sales invoices, considering the VAT position on international invoices;
- Assisting with management reporting and annual accounting compliance by preparing accounts and reports such as tour reports comparing actual to budget, wealth statements;
- Processing receipts;
- Assisting with preparation of VAT returns and EC Sales Lists for manager review and client approval;
- Assist with handling aspects of the portfolio’s financial and personal affairs;
- Assisting with the maintenance and review of accounting records raising issues to relevant Managers;
- Liaising directly with clients and suppliers in a timely and professional manner online, over the phone or in person;
- Reconciling reports on MS Excel and QuickBooks;
- Making, monitoring and reporting on bank payments;
- Online banking including preparing payments;
- Writing cheques.
Royalties Team – Key Responsibilities
- Preparation and completion of royalty statements with varying degrees of nature
- Ensuring contractual guidelines are met
- Process UK and International receipts
- High level analysis on royalty audits
- Assist with record/publishing catalogue valuations
- Liaise with other departments to ensure seamless delivery of work
- Communicate with clients, both on-site where applicable or via telephone / email to resolve straight forward queries or issues and obtain supporting documentation
- Highlight to manager any issues or problems that occur in a timely fashion
- Assist on any other royalties projects
- Role split is approximately 40% music rights valuations; 30% record label/publishing company royalty distributions; 30% general royalty analysis.
Personal Tax Team – Key Responsibilities
- Daily support to the Tax Team on their portfolios, together with ad-hoc work from other team members;
- Gathering tax packs for partner review;
- Sending tax returns to clients;
- Submitting tax returns;
- Reviewing internet for potential FEU applications;
- VAT repayments for FEU applications;
- Dealing with post/paperwork that the team receives;
- Completing Forms: EIS applications;
- FEU Applications;
- Update hard files for VIP clients;
- Urgent Tax Return and Tax Report preparation/adjustments;
- Circulating time line to the whole team – setting out the months goals/targets/important dates etc. to SL and London first week of the month;
- Update and maintain tax technical library;
- Take calls and to HMRC where required;
- Setting up the weekly calls with external team members;
- Run and issue monthly WIP reports to tax managers so that we can review what to bill;
- Arrange with PAs to raise and send bills where instructed;
- Liaising between PAs and Tax Team.
Corporate Tax Team – Key Responsibilities
The Corporate Tax team prepares corporate tax computations for over 1,000 companies as well as being involved with advisory matters on corporate tax issues. As an intern in the CT team, your role could involve:
- Helping the team gather information for the computations, assisting with the preparation and submission of computations;
- Liaising with other departments, internally and externally, and possibly HMRC;
- Assisting with basic research;
- Assisting on a range of tax and administrative matters within the team.
Please note these lists are not exhaustive.
In addition, applications are not being taken per department, but for our placement programme as a whole. We will place the successful candidates into the department that we think is best suited for their experience and skillset.
Who You Are
We’re looking for candidates who are motivated and creative, who understand our values and have the drive to help us achieve our goals.
You’ll need to be a true team player, with exceptional communication skills, the ability to manage high volume workloads and adhere to tight deadlines. You will be proactive, ambitious and most of all care about the work we do and the clients we support as much as we do.
- You will be on course to achieve at least a 2:1 degree in Accountancy and Finance from a top university (other subject areas may be considered)
- You will have previously achieved 280 UCAS points from at least 3 A-Levels (excluding General Studies)
- You will have Grade B or above in GCSE Maths and English Language
- Start Date: July 2021
- Hours of Work: 9:30am – 5.30pm, Monday to Friday
- Salary: Competitive
Think You’ve Got What It Takes?
This is a really exciting opportunity for you to enhance your studies and kick-start your future career in accountancy.
Due to the large volume of candidates we receive we may not be able to respond to all applicants.
To apply, please scroll down and click ‘Apply’. You will be directed to complete a short application form and attach your CV and covering letter.
What happens next…
Step 1 – The Short List
Once you hit that send button we’ll be busy behind the scenes shortlisting candidates.
Step 2 – The Chat
Week commencing 8 February 2021
When we have a short list we’ll arrange to have a quick telephone chat with you to get to know you a little better.
Step 3 – The Interview
Weeks commencing 22 February and 5 March 2021
This is your chance to shine. Show us who you really are. What gets you out of bed in the morning? How do you problem solve? Interact with others?
Step 4 – The Results
Week commencing 8 March 2021
Successful students will be notified shortly afterwards. If you’ve taken the time to meet with us we will happily give our time to provide you detailed feedback to help you in future interviews.
ARE YOU Interested? IF SO, Get in Touch!
If you are interested in undertaking your placement year at SRLV, please complete our application form by clicking Apply Now below.
You will be asked a few questions and prompted to attach your CV and covering letter to support your application.
We can’t wait to hear from you!
SRLV is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We will keep your application/CV on our files for the next six months, with a view to considering you for any suitable vacancies that may arise during this period.
Please let us know if you would prefer us not to keep your details on our files for this purpose. In that eventuality, we will delete all the information that we hold about you from our records.